Thursday, July 8

Censorship and Careers

Tiring. That's the day in a word. It's like my karma scale went to a negative 10 in the past week, and I'm paying for all manner of bullshit that's happened (mostly my fault but I won't lose any more of the few friends I have telling the world, will I?)

Earlier today I helped draft a letter today to be sent to the vice chancellor, asking (demanding, if you ask me)for me and my four brothers-in-arms to be given full lecturer status. I guess for the four of us trapped in the rut we are now, it was high time we found out if the university's even willing to discuss our position. My favourite part of the letter was this small paragraph at the conclusion (which eventually got censored by the dean):

(Translated from the BM)

"The factors we have outlined above have brought about a period of low morale, and therefore it would not be far fetched to say that at some point we would have to consider employment outside the university, not because we have lost the inclination to serve the institution, but simply because we feel our interests will continue to be overlooked.."

Needless to say, the paragraph (and one of the aforementioned factors) were cut. There seems to be a tendency to not letting anyone express any kind of dissatisfaction to the bigwigs in my uni, even if it means bringing more detriment to the faculty. Honestly, are they even aware of how unattractive people view a job teaching in a public university these days? Sure I may sound like I'm blowing my own horn, but if me and my friends leave, the faculty would be in deep, deep shit, for the simple reason we do most of the things around here. We host seminars, organise faculty activities, bring in industry contacts when the seniors are busy chasing their own consulting jobs..I'm aching to see what they'd do when they realise that honest, dedicated help is hard to get these days.

So this is why I ended up in a seminar in KL tonight. I needed to scout my options and find some sort of backup plan. My life (fucked though it may be) is not yet over, and there are tons of things to do, and responsibilities to fulfill. I don't know where I'll end up, but at least I'll put up a hell of a fight before I let this particular institution walk all over me.

Goodnight.

|