Thursday, November 4

The Morning After

So I wake up, and nothing much's changed. Unlike George Orr in The Lathe of Heaven, my dreams don't shape reality, so Bush is still president of the US of A for the next four years. Congratulations, Mr Bush. Victory should be savoured.

In the aftermath, amidst more reports of e-voting problems, FOIA (Freedom Of Information Act) requests and all that, the fact of the matter is that the whole world will have to live with the consequences of yesterday's results. There are no illusions that things will pretty much go the same way they have been, so it's up to us to adjust, adapt and improvise. My knowledge of the political clime is far too shaky to be able to write authoritatively, so I'll take it from someone who already has. Ladies and gentlemen, here is Xeni Jardin, of BoingBoing.

(Link)

Spend five minutes reading it. It gives us a good insight into the opinions of some out there, and they're not limited to only the US. There's excerpts from Dan Gillmor, a couple of bloggers abroad, even a Texan.What I like most (or at least the more idealistic side of me likes most) is the last few lines of the article, taken from Kerry's concession speech:

"Audience member: We still got your back!
Thank you, man. And I assure you -- you watch -- I'll still have yours."

Have a good day, folks.

|