Wednesday, January 5

Return of The Box

There is reason to celebrate: Monolith is safe after a round in the operating room.

For those uninformed, Monolith is my Xbox. I consigned it to the service shop last Saturday after spending several worrisome hours wondering why the hell wouldn't any of my games load. As the service people remarked yesterday, the cause was apparently "a timing failure". What this means is that the data being picked up by the laser in the disc drive was not in sync with the data from the BIOS of the console - resulting in some wonky happenings.

Still, all said and done the console's fixed, and whilst it will cost me RM 80 I'm just relieved to have it back. My TV area's been looking skimpy the past couple days.

In the meantime work looks nasty. There's all sorts of meetings (and if I know anything about the nature of these things, that also means more legwork) and then there's this symposium on games in education going on in May and June that I absolutely MUST join (and God willing, write for) so I have to brush up on my game theory and design blogs like this one (Link) as well as reading material like this highly entertaining article (Link).

Oh work. For all my complaining, I thank God heartily for it; simply because it gives me something to do when the Xbox is kaput, my nights are lonely, and there's not even the faintest glimmer of a shag on the horizon.

Yes, Jikon, I AM sad.

Cheers.

|