Tuesday, October 5

Vox Oxana

Someone should tell the people who employ me that electricity cuts and non existent internet access do not a comfortable work environment make.

Sure, it may not be a big deal if the nature of my work involves site visits or mostly letter-writing, but when you're expected to check up on academic resources, do a bit of research-oriented reading, or just reply to faculty emails, the very concept of internet access needs to be stressed beyond measure. Oh, and the aforementioned electricity helps too. Working in a corrugated iron structure that's been reported as unsafe several times (not to mention is currently being claimed back by the faculty that owns it), one needs all amenities to be available, especially electricity.

As I ranted and raved to my officemate this morning I couldn't help but think what must have gone through the minds of the people from a certain local computer games publisher who agreed to open a booth at our so-called exhibition. Practically no-one came (it's a long story) and to top it all off, the internet connection some people have boasted as being 40 gigabits wide (I kid you not, this is what he said) failed utterly every 20 minutes or so throughout the duration of the exhibit. Of course, since said company relied solely on their online games to be able to function, as a result there was nothing left for me to do but look sheepish and apologise. Again, and again. I know there'll be at least one company we don't have to invite for next year.

What's a semi academic on contractual basis to do? Since I can't even log in to work, much less do anything related to it, I took half the day off and visited KL for a bit. Call it playing truant if you like, but that sure as hell beats being in the office for the sake of being in the office.

Along the way I gave my mum a call (since I see her rarely enough) which led to her asking me for something I never thought I'd hear:

"If you ever get the chance, get the hell out of this country, and take your brother and sisters with you."

It was one of those things that made me grip the steering wheel a little harder.

I can understand, in a sense what she means. From where I'm standing, I can see that the system is vastly unsympathetic to anything resembling originality. Even my students, no matter how much I try to make them think for their own, ultimately get dragged back into the abyss of rote and routine by individuals who take delight in making them follow rules. My future is as uncertain enough, as it is. As of late there's been many murmurs of discontent among other members of staff, with the more astute departmental heads not knowing what to do about it, except agree that we're not taking care of our own.

Interesting how this seems to be the norm these days. Preserve the status quo. Crush any dissenters, even if it's just a voice asking to look at a situation from another perspective. I sometimes wonder what the hell was the point teaching us lateral thinking skills or sending us to do our doctorates when all that's really wanted are people to say "yes", and "I agree"?

What indeed?

I for one, have no intention of staying to find out, but we'll see.


|