Tuesday, September 28

Wanted: A Normal Day

Something must be wrong with the universe.

No, scratch that. I'm just too tired. Looking at the clock, it says I've been home for approximately one and a half hours. I can't even think straight enough to be able to catch SVU tonight and for the life of me I can't even remember why I'm blogging in the first place.

The laws of karmic justice are strange and improbable, a voice says in my head. Maybe it's the Douglas Adams I keep with me on my bedside (speaking of which, I have to rebuy my Dirk Gently Omnibus, reading Neil Gaiman's writeup on Adams makes everything feel so new!) or the general wave of crazy Murphy-isms invading my work week. A small sample:

As we were printing the programme book for the ceremony (since at the last minute the printer we engaged decided to bail out) on our HP Laserjets, a strange orange light hitherto unseen began to blink suspiciously on the control panel of Laser One (names have been changed to protect privacy). Bearing in mind that from the info we gathered Laser One had only been used sparingly, it was a huge surprise when we ran out of RM 250 Black. Laser Two and Inkjet One (for glossy) were still going on, but that necessitated a whole series of phone calls to various HP dealers and resellers until we found a way to make them come and deliver the RM 2000+ worth of toners to us (thank God for their Call-A-Cartridge policy) in the morning. Then, all of a sudden, the PCs died. Frantic searching revealed the cause to be the wall sockets apparently (in the words of a colleague) "blowing up". Murphy wasn't pleased with our progress, it seems. And then let's not get started on the mistypes and unseen, invisible gremlin-based errors...

Good, wholesome, clean fun.

Anyway, I'm buggering off, now. The strain is too much for my poor grey cells. If anyone's in the vicinity of my uni, do drop by the faculty from Thursday onwards. At the very least you'll get to meet me at my most strained, and if you're lucky I may even look, er, presentable*.

Ta!

---------------------------

* pictures will be charged extra, of course. Someone has to feed the gorillas.



|