Monday, November 8

Be Careful Who You Wish What

First off: Halo 2 is officially out in stores, and I'll be forking out for the original 2-disc Limited Edition release after Christmas is over (and the online stores get back their delivery capacity). I am doing this simply because it's THAT good. The French bootleg I've been sampling just blew me away, and joystiq has a page full of links to reviews in case you need any more convincing. (Link) Also related to the big black console is Kevin Rose's take on LinksBoks, a web browser that runs on the Xbox (Link). Sure, it doesn't support CSS (yet) but this is one app I'll definitely be keeping my eyes open for. In the meantime I'm still looking for a way to install a switch, allowing me to disable my modchip and get on Live..it's either that or get another console.

Bah.

Now to slightly more..serious matters. I've been back in Perak for almost two days now, and in the midst of the upcoming "Deeparaya" celebrations I just found out last night that in this state at least, it's haraam to wish Hindus a Happy Diwali (or anyone else a happy anything, for that matter).

Yes, you can now pick your collective jaws up from the floor. Apparently the statement was issued by the Perak mufti (someone will have to confirm this for me, please) sometime recently, and I have to say that I personally am still reeling from the implications of this. Not being able to wish good friends of mine a happy celebrations for their particular belief system seriously gives me a bone to pick. Are the Muslims now so insecure that by wishing another human being well, we degrade the sanctity of our faith? Does this then validate the several people I've met since getting back who seem to think that your parents' chosen jobs/religion they were born in influence the way YOU live (and I'm referring in part to the sad stigma our police force have earned, although not without some justification) ?

I'm seriously, seriously confused, and sad. There are many non Muslims I know who are intelligent, decent human beings, and it seems that I'll be violating my faith by wishing them well. So how long before we become the very things we supposedly DO NOT advocate? How long before we take a leaf out of the so called "Zionist" (and here I'm referring to the way some people think) way of looking at the world and wear our smallmindedness proudly on our chests, while proclaiming the unworthiness of anything that is not of the same faith?

Until then, I'll be looking for answers. If any of my readers have any explanations, comments, or pointers, please feel free to leave something. Let's keep it civil, though. I don't need to be told I'll be burning in hell for heresy, or have to look out behind my shoulder for disturbing yet another obscure theocratic tradition. Please, we're all learning, here.

Have a good one.

|