Friday, July 11

Antigravity CDs

How the time just goes by. It's almost 12 o'clock on a Friday afternoon, and I am damn hungry. Trawling through some of my daily blog-reads, just remembered that Digital Fugue, KaZ's blog is one year old today. He has a little tribute thing going on there. Congratulations, KaZ. Hopefully we'll be able to celebrate tonight. As I blog on, everyday I realise that I always turn back to these "seniors", checking up on their content, their style, their unique peculiarities. I could list them down here, but then there would be too many. And I realise also that I tend to assimilate bits and pieces of their blogs, adapting some of their flair, the issues they blog about. It's often humbling for me, not only content-wise but also in the breadth and depth of the posts and comments.

I've always wanted to start another blog, a more techno-centric Insane Ox 2.0. But I think I'm still learning, adapting, but more importantly, learning. I hope it's not too late to express a very big Thank You to the major bloggers in the GMBL, GengJurnal, also the KotaRaya group, for being my sifus, either directly or indirectly. I've learnt a lot, and hopefully will be able to inspire someone else someday.

Before I leave for Friday prayers, here are some suggestions for those looking for a little light lunchtime reading:

This article in Wired sounds far fetched, but if it really works, it is damn freaking cool. Hover cars, UFOs! The technology (and mythos) behind the lifter phenomenon. Worth reading if only to boggle the mind with the possibilities of the future.

Fred Langa wrote this wonderful article on InformationWeek on how to make a custom boot and repair CD to fix any kind of system trouble imaginable, even on first generation PCs. It's a bit long to read, but you'll be glad you did. I seriously recommend this to anyone who fixes PCs on a regular basis, or even as a safety precaution for when your box decides to pull a fast one.

Yesterday I was watching the Screen Savers on TechTV and they featured Bunnie Huang, the MIT whiz who hacked into the X-Box WITH Microsoft's permission. He's published the book Hacking the XBox on his own, after being abandoned by several publishers. You may want to check out his website for more details. Bunnie is typical of the next-gen technogeek: good looking, wholesome, well spoken and definitely a genius, while not being afraid to share his knowledge. What interested me was that he came up with a theoretical solution to a question from a live viewer on the spot, and made it actually seem feasible to build, when said question stumped Leo and Pat, not to mention the whole Screen Savers crew. Very very cool.

Well, that's all the time I have before heading to the mosque, so for the rest of you, have a good lunch, followed by a good Friday/weekend!

Take care, folks!





|