Tuesday, July 8

God Bless Our Lousy Apartment

Irene posted something that struck a chord in me today..although perhaps not in the way she meant or intended. People ask me:
"So why do you live in Subang? Isn't it cheaper for you to stay in Bangi?"

Usually, my standard answer would be:
"It's easier for me to stay with my sister since she goes to college in PJ. Besides, look at all the nearby facilities, like the banks, vet, hypermarket.."

It's an honest answer, but sometimes I wonder, is it really true? My share of the 3 bedroom apartment costs me about MYR600 a month, excluding utilities. I make just under MYR 2K a month. With the current events in the faculty, I had to make the difficult decision of witholding my plans to buy a car (since I'm planning to give the family clunker I'm using to my sis), travelling at the end of year, and instead, am pinching every little penny I can. Of course, I DO make allowances for entertainment and clothes and stuff. But still..it's a tough juggling act to follow, and I don't even dare apply for a credit card yet. As for asking money from my dad..anyone who knows me would know I'd bend double before I would even consider it. Being firstborn is like that, I guess..we tend to think about everyone except ourselves. Besides, I tell myself..I'm bloody working..so there's no excuse for me to ask for money when my parents still have to support my younger siblings.

It all boils down to priorities. I admit I like to be near KL, have broadband access, be near enough to banks, makan places and the like. Two weeks ago I had a talk with my dad about this, and the state of my (yet uncertain) career. I was really very surprised at how it turned out. He asked me:
"Can you still afford living here?"
"It's a stretch but I can make it, besides I like it here. It''s quiet and comfy..not to mention convenient."
"Then by all means, stay on. Besides, I like it here too. Better than all those other places you've lived in before. Think about your priorities, and if you think that it'll be easier to fulfil them here..go ahead."

Thanks, dad.

It was a bit jarring hearing that from him..especially since my mum had been making noises about me staying in Subang for a very long time. My dad has always been the practical one..and I know supporting my sister's half of the rent (not to mention her allowance and tuition fees) dents his wallet a lot. Recently my sis qualified for PTPTN (a loan scheme for students), and at least that whittles down the bills somewhat. We also talked about me probably leaving the University once my bond has ended. Crazy, perhaps..but I still have some years to think it over..and I'd rather work on my own terms.

Some of these bloggers I read are very successful indeed, and I know if I'm ever to be in the same league, I need to work my arse off. Oh well. Nothing ever comes easy..nothing worth getting, anyway.
Peace, folks.

Oh, on an unrelated note, I made it into TV Smith's list! Oh my God! The responsibility!

|