Friday, October 31

Jumping on The Bandwagon

Well, we're near the end of the month, Halloween's around the corner, and Dr M's stepping down today. I've been mostly silent about the whole change of leadership issue, probably cause there's so much already been said (by the more astute political observers and bloggers) and I needed some time to think about what I felt, and what I wanted to say.

Which in the end turns out to be not much.

I was born in '78, which means that by the time my brain had developed cognitive functions enough to identify and store memories, he'd already stepped up. Throughout my childhood years, my strongest impression of our country's leader was the portrait of himself in almost any government office in that blue baju melayu. Strange now that I've had the opportunity to see that portrait change over the years. That's change for you, I guess. I can't say he was the best we've ever had, simply because I never knew any better.

So today he leaves, and a chapter in our country's life (and mine) ends. We go forward and we leave the past behind. What do we say to a guy who's helmed a country for 22 years?

Get some rest, enjoy what's left of life and (this is for me) thanks.

Hopefully we'll be able to pick up where you left.

Have a good one, Dr M.

|