Thursday, October 30

Test of Patience, Indeed

Again they do it to me. I got a call from my Head of Department, asking me to sub for a new subject we're going to teach next semester: Lightwave and 3D animation. The lecturer in charge has been very sick and will only fully recover in three months or so. This particular course was actually slotted to be taken over by someone else (who I'll call K) but according to my HOD, since K's expected to leave for her PhD soon she suggested I take over. Which is fine.

Fast forward half an hour later. I'd already been to see my HOD to get the relevant course outlines and to discuss the possibility that I'll have to draft the syllabus and its notes all over again. Coincidentally, in a lab downstairs I bumped into K. Which is when I popped the question:

"So when are you leaving again?"

"Oh I don't know. Maybe, maybe not. Just hoping, I guess. But I gave Dr Y's subject to you since well, I'm too busy preparing for my own subject and I thought, well..YOU could do it."

I nearly jumped out of my skin. Okay. Wait a minute. Consider the scenario: two lecturers, each preparing their own course material for the coming semester. One gets the order to sub for a new subject, but SINCE SHE'S TOO BUSY and NOT ABLE TO PREPARE, she tells the HOD she'll be going off for study leave soon. Now what in God's name made her think that I'd been preparing for this new subject? At the moment, I'm drafting a new course outline for MY subject as well. Honestly folks, helming a course in animation's not a big deal. It's the way she went about passing the job that ticks me off. Here's what she COULD have done: gave me a call and asked me, nicely. Instead, she chose to go over my head and use the HOD to tell me. Probably so I won't be able to refuse.

Sigh.

Expect a slightly grumpier Ox this week, folks.

|