Friday, December 19

Of Timing Belts and Improper Timing

Right. Apparently the sudden trip to and from Perak (and after that, the office) did something to my car. I'm invigilating in Wangsa Maju tomorrow, and I was there earlier tonight sourcing out which roads to take, and what not. On the way back though, my car started stalling every time I pushed it into the fourth gear. A quick look at the tachometer (is that what you call it?) confirmed my suspicions: something was definitely wrong with my timing. It was way, waay too low.

Thankfully, we managed to limp our way back to Subang, where I quickly arranged for it to be sent to my friendly neighbourhood workshop (yeah, there goes my mobility for the rest of the day). It DOES throw me a little off course since I'll probably have to take a cab to Kelana LRT station and then to Wangsa Maju, but it doesn't bother me too much. Weird, but I guess growing up does that to you.

Hmmph.

Speaking of improper timing, I realised (yet again!!) that I happen to say the most incredibly arsey things at the most unsuitable moments. Usually this happens when s (stress units) interfere with my r (rational brain waves) to achieve RSM (Really Stupid Moment). When this happens, I'm usually the one to blame and I end up wishing I never opened the hole in my head in the first place. There's a time and place for everything, so they say. Unfortunately the Ox still has to find out if it's true (and if it is) how the hell to apply it in Real Life.

I used to hold to this particular adage: All good things come to those who wait.
That might have been true in the '70s, but as I age (yes, I age, folks) I begin to realise that though there are many things worth waiting for, there are sometimes even better things that don't wait. It's a difficult line to walk, between rushing blindly and taking a measured, calculated move.. but God willing, I'll learn my lesson (and also learn when to keep my mouth shut).

I'm reminded almost every day now why I chose this path. I sometimes think it's easier to just sink back and let go, but how often in your life do you catch a piece of heaven?
And if you do, what would you do to keep it?
What indeed?

|