Monday, December 8

Of Open Houses And The Roadmap To Futility

Few things cheer the Ox up more than a good conversation. One could say that it's a criteria for when he chooses his friends, or that in essence the Ox may be a snob (hmmm). In any case, Sunday afternoon found me sitting in Subang Ria nursing a hot cup of teh o limau and finally catching up with someone I've been meaning to meet a long time.

No, it's not Britney or Madonna (although I wouldn't have minded as well).

I was pleasantly surprised to find out during the open house I was attending that Sharizal was in the neighbourhood. After informing the hosts I'd be back in time for the cleanup, I drove over to Auntie Lin's bustling little shop. It's amazing how at the very last minute, what started off as a so-so weekend received a nice little kick up the arse (thanks to the luverly open house) and transformed itself into an interesting learning experience (well, for me at least).

History, politics, education..there seemed to be no end to the things that we discussed. I found myself feeding off this guy's knowledge and experience, and it struck me (again) that some of the more interesting lessons life can teach you will never be found in any classroom save the big one I like to call The Real World. For the Ox, it helps to talk to people who're more successful every once in a while. Helps me keep on track. And best of all, there's always something new to learn.

Thanks, bro. I went back with plenty of food for thought, and some interesting ideas for my next class. I remember saying Hail to The King in a previous post. Well, for now the throne's just been taken over by Conversation.

Yeeah.

P/s: If anyone wants to join me Thursday night at Sobranie, let me know. They're screening Terry Gilliam's Brazil. Yum.

|