Thursday, May 13

DVD Update!

Thank God I'm finally home. The drive back was in full glare of the sun, and man was it hot. After dinner I decided to treat myself to a little fun and dropped by my friendly neighbourhood DVD store (just a few metres from the mamak I go to). Against my better judgement, I got myself three titles:

The Van Helsing Animated Prequel
This being a precursor of sorts to the feature film showing now, I haven't had a chance to properly watch it. It looks good, and contains among other things, a "making of the video game" feature, as well as other promotional bits. Hugh Jackman lends his voice to the titular character, and I'll be reviewing it soon after seeing if it's any good.

Assault on Precinct 13
I've been waiting to get this baby for awhile yet. Directed by John Carpenter (and scheduled for a remake soon) Assault tells the story of a group of besieged police officers and the prisoners who have to band together to defend their lives against the ruthless attacks of a street gang packing serious heat. From what I've seen of the trailer (and numerous positive reviews on the net) this looks like a serious fun movie.

Being John Malkovich (Special Edition)
This John Cusack, Cameron Diaz and (who else) John Malkovich classic is out on DVD just in time to whet my appetite for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. By the same director, this little flick is a hilarious look at what would happen should someone find a door into John Malkovich's head. Thanks to mexidvd from my DVDMalaysia forum for the pointer!

Other notable releases this week:
Aswang - Tagalog for vampire, this is a small independent movie released in 94, and I'm doing some research on it as I write this entry.

Intolerable Cruelty

Peter Pan - the new one, with Jason Isaacs

Army of Darkness Special Bootleg Edition - containing 15 minutes of additional footage!

The House of Sand and Fog

Mystic River (caution, may be a screener copy)

Kill Bill volume 1 R2 edition - what this means is that the famous black and white battle scene near the end is rendered in glorious colour! Blood! Blood!

Shameless plug: If you're at all interested in the local DVD scene (original OR durian) do register at the DVDMalaysia forum. It's free, friendly, fun and heck, it's all DVDs, all the time. I'm Lord_Ashe in there, in case anyone feels like joining.

Right. It's a couple hours yet to my officially leaving my quarter century mark. I'll be in front of the tube, DVD-ing, if anyone's looking. Have a good night!

|