Wednesday, May 19

Midweek Movie Madness

I know, I've just posted. But hey, all that pent up emotional/psychological knick knacks one builds up during the day have got to go somewhere, hence this post (also so all three of my readers have something to chew on). As summer gets even closer we see the big movies already lining up to suck our hard earned cash out of our pockets (and with this year's line up, I have a feeling I'm gonna be pinching pennies). I've already done a preview of sorts in a previous post, and this one will continue where I left off, with some sneak peeks at films that will be joining us later next year, or the next...Since this is potentially a mucho long post, I've decided to break things up into categories. And this week it's.....

Comic to Film Adaptations!!

As we all know, this particular genre is seeing a lot of money being poured into it these days, what with the sudden success of Spiderman and the two X-Men movies. Even with bombs like the Hulk and LXG, it doesn't look like Marvel is slowing down an inch. Here are some other upcoming titles this year (and possibly the next):

This Year:

Spiderman 2
I've got good hopes for this one, since most of the original people who worked on the first movie are back. Just a couple more weeks till we see if Doc Ock makes a worthy opponent.

The Punisher
I've not got a good feeling for this one, really. I'm just crossing my fingers, though.

Catwoman
They're changing the origin story, costume and almost everything else. I have a faint hope for this flick, but seriously, what more harm do they want to do to comic book adaptations?

Batman Begins
The new Batman is Christian Bale. So far some production stills are on the net, and there's a nifty new tank like Batmobile. If they can revive the franchise, then by all means please.

Blade: Trinity
I kind of have a liking for the first two movies. They were cool, action packed and just nice, light adaptations that didn't try to do too much. Plus they had Kris Kristofferson. When this one comes out later, I'll be one of the many in line.

Constantine
Alan Moore (who also penned LXG) has officially disavowed any knowledge of this project. After seeing what the studios did to LXG, I'm inclined to do the same. Not only did they cast the mother of wooden puppets Keanu "Whoa" Reeves as John Constantine, they also made him a Yank instead of a Brit! Typical Hollywood. I'll be holding judgement until more details are available.

Hellboy 2
Del Toro was rather pleased (and so were the studio backers) with the results that he's signed on for a sequel. Ron Perlman's agreed to do it although he cautions them they'd better move fast since he's getting old..

Fantastic Four
Not to be confused with the fab five, this particular nugget has a lot of fans angry at the producers for intending to shoot it as a "sitcom". Rumours on the net point to a lot of changing in the storylines, and I can only hope Reed Richards doesn't turn out to look like Plastic Man.

M
Jim "Jesus" Caviezel is rumoured to be cast as the enigmatic Capt Francis Blake in a movie loosely based on a French comic book. It looks to be something like LXG, although with two protagonists instead of several. I'll be sure to post more details as I get them.

Well that's all for this Midweek Movie Report. Keep coming back for more, and lemme know what you think!


|