Monday, May 17

Two Stories (Part Two)

Two:

Before I forget, Jo has joined (or is it RE-joined?) the blogiverse. All I can say is "It's about bloody time, Joe!"

Anyway.

I used to think mat sallehs/gwailos/western men had it easy in Malaysia. You know, coming in from the HQ abroad to consult in the local branch, getting paid triple what most other employees get, free living, transport (sometimes) and oh yeah, the women. Take a quick look at any of the clubs along Jalan Sultan Ismail on a Saturday night, and you'll see some (not all, mind) women throw themselves at these westerners like metal shavings to a magnet. Of course there are the requisite GROs (out to make an easy buck or four) and other less savoury characters, but there are also the other women who look for the perceived security even a short fling with these men would entail. That will take another post to talk about...

After several years observing this, one assumes that the westerners enjoy such attention. Truly, some DO, with observable results (a different girl every week, at the same club). As I've recently found out however, there are exceptions to every rule. A friend recently told me a story of two American consultants she took clubbing with some other colleagues. Whilst one was happy entangled in the arms of a local lady, the other was content to sit down and enjoy his drink, well aware he was the designated driver. He told my friend and another female colleague that when he was alone he would always have at least one GRO approach him and "rub herself all over me" as he put it.

Naturally, my friend thought he was just exaggerating, and thus the two women sat themselves on a nearby stool, away from him. Sure enough, within two minutes a doe eyed, sexily dressed young woman sidled up to him and started to chat him up. He signaled my friend and her companion to come near and take their previous places, when the girl asked him "So are you all friends?"

The matsalleh, being a wily one himself answered thus:
"No, this is my wife and her sister." The girl suddenly did a reverse step while uttering a nervous, high pitched laugh and promptly disappeared. My friend was laughing as she related this story to me, and I could only wish I'd been there.

So it IS true. Not ALL westerners enjoy being the focus of such money hungry attention. After all, they ARE human. Still, we can only wonder at the financial stimulus our economy receives from those who DO enjoy their asian flings.

Hmm.

**Totally unrelated, but I just have to say that I think Joanna Bessey is really hot.**

|