Sunday, August 22

No Ad Hominem

Sundays are meant to be lazy.

As I await my parents' arrival (and thus am also hurriedly giving the apartment a quick once over) I am content to just lean back and let the warm buzz pass over me. It's a hot day, and one that doesn't lend itself to much thinking, which is good.


Image courtesy of my PowerShot G3, during yesterday's breakfast meet.

The quiet is also good, and as I resolve yet again to lose some weight (I look horrible!) I remember some of the things that are surprisingly, inexplicably Malaysian:

Our tendency to use the word "best" to denote the quality of something. Ergo:
"I heard you watched the movie last night. Best tak?"

The Malaysian use of the word "special" especially in Malay eateries and burger stalls. Here, "special" usually denotes "with egg". Thus "burger ayam special" would require an egg nestled above the patty.

Similar use of the word "USA" in some dishes, i.e Nasi Goreng USA (or USA Fried Rice). Although I am personally unsure if the people in the states actually DO like fried rice enough to come up with a homegrown variety, apparently our interpretation involves (yes you guessed it) a poached/fried egg, bits of chicken and/or beef and maybe even a sausage (okay, so it's a frankfurter).

I'm sure there's more, but I can't be arsed to think about it (as I said, it IS Sunday), but I shall leave you with an interesting and thoughtful quote that just about sums up my opinion of Sundays:

Animadvertistine, ubicumque stes, fumum recta in faciem ferri?

See if you can figure THAT out.

|