Sunday, November 16

November Rain

I went to the beach yesterday.

It dawned cold, wet and miserable at first, but quickly turned into what I learnt was a rarity in Dunedin: A warm sunny day. I was bored, so I happily accepted the invitation to go into town and roam around for awhile. It was livelier than I ever remembered seeing it this past week, and so I walked a little aimlessly, soaking up the atmosphere and taking comfort from the human contact.

A few hours later, I was in a car (with some of my new friends) taking breathtakingly scenic routes, going nowhere in particular. The sky was blue and almost cloudless, making it too nice a day to simply stay inside. We drove into random roads and paths, vaguely aware that we were looking for a beach, until we sort of stumbled into one.

It was perfect. Framed by a series of cliffs on either side and a sleepy little village behind it, it was exactly what I imagined it would be. Gulls circled overhead as the sea hurled itself into the rocks in the distance. The water glinted an emerald green as it lapped the shore playfully, as if daring me to go in. I walked into the sparkling water and gasped at how cold it was, but it didn't matter. It was a beautiful day.

So we stood there, and talked and joked. The wind tugged at our hair and clothes but still I couldn't help running into the water's edge every few minutes, feeling the sand under my feet, fine and damp. Someone brought a frisbee and almost wordlessly we threw it about, playing with the sea breeze as well as each other. And when that was done, we simply walked along the beach, watching the birds gliding lazily overhead and looking at the shells strewn about that will one day be nothing more than sand themselves.

On the way back to the car, I saw a gull try and break a shell it was carrying, probably its dinner. The bird flew up and dropped the shell over and over, trying to get to the contents. It must have been a particularly resilient shell, for it almost gave up and left it. But finally it succeeded and had what looked like a tasty little treat.

I realised then that life is like that as well. Some shells are tougher than others and you may not always get what you want, but there'll always be something worth fighting for. I understood my reluctance to let go, but at the same time accepted that nothing is certain, and that life's too short to regret every single "what-if". My broken heart will heal only if I let it, and let go.

So on a desolate beach that windy Saturday afternoon, I learnt to let go a little.
Maybe I can do some more, soon.

Song of the Day: November Rain, Guns and Roses

|