Monday, April 5

One Year, And Counting

It's amazing how much work gets done when the internet's out. As I looked out the window of my office at the rain pouring outside, I couldn't help but think that though there are many, many things I can't do (research, emailing prospective supervisors) there were also other things that I could. The only thing I really miss is PPS, since that's where I get my entertainment (and more often knowledge) for the day. It's absolutely ghastly to finally be able to log on at night and realise that approximately 50 000 posts have gone by and I have to trawl the whole length of the page to catch up on the bits and pieces of other people's lives that I am so happy to push my nose into.

Something rather momentous (well to me at least) passed me by a couple weeks ago: The Insane Ox turned 1 year old on the 23rd of March. I didn't even realise that until April 1st (that's typical Ash for you). This means, ladies and gentlemen that I have been consistently working at this little nook for more than 12 bleedin' months. This blog has evolved from simply being my online venting post to something more complex and meaningful than I could ever imagine. In the past year, writing in this blog has found me new friends, a social life that is actually viable and more mental stimulation in one day than you can shake a stick at. And for that, I'm thankful. I remember when I first started out, some of the more established bloggers were arguing about what makes a real blog. I didn't really understand the intricacies of it at the time, but now I realise that some of the blogs dearest to me (and you can see them on my blogroll) have nothing in common with the supposed "real" blogs. Most of them are written by real people (like me and if you're reading, you) and are about everyday things and everyday hurts. There are also moments of happiness, and more often than not, great drama (I'm a voyeur, so sue me). However, the best ones are those who exceed the call of duty. They don't just stop at telling you how their day went. They also enlighten you on things you'd never have seen or head of (or maybe not till later). These are, to me, the real blogs: places where we write of our struggles and achievements, loves and hates, and all the other itty bitty little elements that make up our lives. As for links, there are links galore. Here's a thought: Blogging may even be one part of a solution towards a context-aware internet experience.

And why not? When we share links (and chuckle over them) are we not surfing the same thing via someone else's page? Are we not tuning into like minded people with similar interests who we in turn feed them with little tid bits of our own? Short of Google developing self awareness (which may be possible, I'm just waiting to go underground) blogs are little paradoxes. They are self contained little nodes complete unto themselves, but also collectively making up the vast network of axons and dendrites and what have you that in turn form the 'Net. As a worker in an increasingly information centric society, this is intriguing beyond belief.

It is my amateur opinion that we bloggers share the same tasks and duties of librarians and other knowledge keepers, whether we like it or not. We unknowingly sift and collate bits and pieces off the 'Net and redistribute them with new value added (which can be as simple as making a little summary). I may not be making sense (it HAS been a long day at work after all) but I guess what I'm trying to say is blogging changed my life.

No, scratch that. It saved me. And until I find out differently, I'll always hold this little technology close to my heart. There are a lot of things I'm thankful for, and right now The Insane Ox is one that holds a very high place in the ranks.

Have a good week, folks.

Song of the day: Corduroy, Pearl Jam

|