Wednesday, April 7

Publicity Stunts And Yahoo Messenger

Yes folks, it's official. On this coming 30th April, my ugly mug may be plastered all over national telly. The reason? Simple enough. My university has decided to honour our ex-premier with a special convocation ceremony as he is granted another honorary doctorate. Since we're hosting this marvellous occasion, the uni administration has seen fit to "ask" each department from each faculty to send 5 representatives for a special parade.

Guess who's on top of the list in my department? I'd already anticipated the job, simply because :

*Including my head of department, there are only 3 other men, and of that 1 is away abroad.
*I'm one of the youngest, and still single. Hence these things fall to me by default.

I don't really mind I guess, since I've seen it coming, and also because I've always wondered what I'd say if I ever met him. In my line of work, I've learnt to expect my name on almost every little letter of appointment, simply because I've gotten so used to it. Case in point: this Friday I'll be overseeing the registration for a programming competition my uni is hosting with IBM, and the following day I'm in charge of a faculty wide jungle trek with the Vice Chancellor.

So you see, there's no escape.

In other news, I've since realised that living without the internet at the office does have its share of perks (as I've outlined in previous posts). However, even with the net back on now(one day and counting), I've been going through most of this week without what may be considered a staple in the work environment: Yahoo Messenger. The changes have been tremendous. I'm getting more work done, and I've actually gotten used to not having it around. Not to say I don't miss it (since it's the only way I can get to talk with my blogger/overseas friends) but I know now that I CAN work without it.

Wow. I'll borrow this quote from a fellow blogger that sums up the situation perfectly, I guess:

"If I ever become PM, one of the first things I'll put in my motto would be: Work with the PM, not the YM."

Here's to better productivity (but please don't be too shocked if you see me online. I miss my friends ;-) )


|