Thursday, April 3

Warning: Totally book-unrelated post coming up.

Was reminded again today of how difficult it is for both parties in a long distance relationship. For the one left behind, there's always the uncertainty, insecurity and fear that his/her partner might find someone else. The dilemma is in either being too jealous, (which will probably result in a lot of unnecessary arguments) or not jealous at all, where the partner might get the idea that he/she doesn't care enough. There's a fine line to be trod (and believe me, yours truly is still learning!). Of course, on the other side of the fence, for the person leaving, it's a whole different world of problems. There's the constant reminder that yes, you're in a relationship but no, he/she can't be with you right now. All the little things they miss will be amplified, sometimes to an almost unbearable extent. There's also the temptation to give in and try it out with someone new. All of which makes this particular situation one that most couples (I think) hate to consider.

Well, as much as I don't like it, it's the reality. I don't think I could live with myself if I ever knowingly stopped my girlfriend from going abroad to study.. or doing anything that would be important for her future. And I also know that she would not hesitate to let me go off, should circumstances dictate it. I think I'm starting to understand that the essence of a couple's longevity together is not how long you've been together or how much you love each other (remember, there's such a thing as loving somebody TOO much). Ultimately, I think it's the respect and trust each partner brings to the table that determines a couple's integrity. Yes, love does play a part. It's the glue that holds the big mosaic together. And as I'm learning every day, it's a mosaic that needs a lot of care, thought and multiple splashes of glue.

And with that, here's a thought:

When you realize
You want to spend
The rest of your life with somebody,

You want the rest of your life
To start as soon as possible.


From When Harry met Sally


|