Sunday, September 28

AXN Anime Fest 2003: First Impressions

Oops. Almost forgot. I was among the bazillions of people crowding MidValley Exhibition Centre's Hall 3 for the first AXN Anime Fest to be held in Malaysia. Well, actually me and all my siblings. Yup (we're all otaku). So there I was (a little late but not too late) with my 2 sisters and brother in tow. I don't think crowded even began to describe it. It was like a madhouse. A friend of mine who was there earlier told me that the moment the gate rolled open, this huge tide of mankind rushed into the opening, despite the best efforts of the staff to contain the 'flood'. And flood it was. And then I got there.

I'm going to have to make this short, but pics will be on the way soon.

High points:
1) Cheap original Anime DVDs (courtesy of Anime-Tech). Yaaay!
2) Plenty of merchandise (at least when I got there)
3) Charlie's Angels style sumo!
4) So many female (read: gorgeous) anime fans! Yay!

Low points:
1) The Hall's bloody small! Do it in PWTC next time!
2) The Hall's bloody small!!
3) Get an MC who at least knows his anime! The Cosplay (Costume Play) contestants barely got introduced.
4) Again about the Hall size.
5) Bloody "action" kids who were boasting they knew better katas than the samurai performers on stage and that their cameras were the most expensive, and thus they should sit in front.
6) Mad parents who insist on shoving their 3-4 year old kids onto the stage.

So there it was in a nutshell. We crawled out of there early since we were all tired..but I sincerely hope (on behalf of all the anime fans) that we'll see it again next year. Thanks AXN, and keep up the good work. Oh, and if it's on next year, look out for the Resident Evil Zombie in the Cosplay Competition. That will be me.

|