Monday, September 22

Coming Soon : Romero-Fest

Okay. I think I'm a schmuck. The reason being while trawling through some DVD shops last night I chanced upon a copy (you know what I mean) of George Romero's final installment in the Living Dead Trilogy: Day of The Dead. Me being me, I decided for some weird reason not to purchase it, knowing full well it would be the last time I'll see it on a shelf anywhere in KL (and don't get me started on waiting for Speedy-weed to bring it in). Oh well, I suppose I'll find it again when I'm NOT looking for it, as is usual. Right now though, I keep thinking: What if??

Damn.

Oh well, I suppose I can wait until I can afford to order the whole Special Edition from Amazon or something. Not much fun working your way backwards is it? I used to contribute a lot to DVD Malaysia, a forum for DVD fans here to share tips, tricks and news on the DVD and Home Theatre scene. Haven't been there in awhile, mostly cause I had to stop my collecting due to some (ahem) unforeseen law enforcement, hehehe. In any case, I expect I'll be getting my hands on the DVD soon enough (knowing me). For the uninitiated, the Trilogy kicked off with Night of The Living Dead (1960, 1990), continued with Dawn of the Dead, and ended with Day of the Dead. Although you may call them sequels, they don't feature any continuing characters. Instead, the films show a progressively decaying world where the dead come back to life, and humans are scattered all over the world in small pockets. I think I posted on this some time back, and I'll try to link it (if I can ever find it again that is). I'll be sure to post reviews as re-watch these films, so for those Horror aficionados out there here's what you can do to tide you over while you're waiting:

1) Watch Clive Barker's Candyman (or read the short story first).
   An intriguing look into urban legends and the power of belief. Done much better than the pseudo-smart schlock that was Urban Legend (1999) and its even more insipid, uninspired sequel. Tony Todd (Final Destination) is THE Candyman. Maybe you dare to say his name five times in a mirror?

2) Watch Night of The Living Dead (either version)
   Interesting social commentary on the paranoia in 1960s America. Never before have zombies become so thought provoking.

3) Play the Simpsons Hit and Run on the Xbox/PS2
   Imagine GTA, but with no guns. And plenty of humour from our favourite yellow skinned sitcom family. Guaranteed fun to be had.

Right. Back to work!

|