Wednesday, September 17

So This Is How It Goes

Finally back after yet another long day at the office. The faculty family day's on Saturday, and guess who's sitting high up on the organising committee? Anyway, yours truly will be departing KL on Friday to make all the necessary arrangements and setup for the big day. Since this is the first time we're handling such a large amount of people, the committee hopes it'll go well, even with the inevitable hitches. Planning can only take you so far. And after that it's the Crown Princess from the 28th September to 4th October, as I'll be handling the International Symposium on Information Technology 2003. God willing (and equipment, too) I'll be covering the keynotes and parallel sessions in situ. Here's just hoping they have net access.

Got confirmation that finally they're moving up my pay from Tutor to Lecturer. What this means essentially is that I can afford to breathe a little easier every month, and maybe even buy a piece of clothing or two every other month. This Ox doesn't ask for much, and he's happy with what he's got. For now. It's that time of the month again, when the Ox entertains some serious doubts about himself and his career. I find that I go through these periods every few months or so, and they get worse if there's additional stress factors. For now, again the defining question is: should I go and continue my studies under the uni sponsorship (and get bonded for another 7 years in the process) or should I wait out the current bond, and strike out? Regular readers will know that these questions pop up quite regularly, and if you're tired of em, so am I. As I told someone close to me today, I'm getting stressed because it's my future, and unfortunately I only have one. Some may argue that there are an infinite number of parallel universes where all possible futures pan out, but I'd rather concentrate on the here and now, thank you.

One door opens, and another closes. Life is like that, and I'm perfectly happy accepting that I'll never be able to move on if I keep asking myself too many what-ifs. It's still scary though, knowing that once I make this one particular leap, I'll never be able to undo it. No Control-Z's in this particular piece of software, folks. It's the ultimate in Role Playing Games, and once you start, there's only one way to stop. Welcome to Real Life, the only RPG you'll ever need (and get). Truth be told, I'm feeling very very crabby (urgh) and I hate it when that happens.

Oh well. Enough self pitying drivel for one night. Have a good midweek (and weekend ahead, folks) and don't forget if you can't be good..be careful.

Signing off for The Insane Ox,
Ash.ox

|