Tuesday, March 16

Psychic Internet

"Click to Meet Potential Soulmate" - the email subject screams. So what is it about me that lands 20-30 of these mails in my Junk folder every other day (besides the numerous pleas from Nigeria and substances to make my plumbing equine)? Is the internet context-sensitive now? Are my keystrokes statistically significant in a way that shows how absolutely single I am right now? Do my fingerprints get digitised and sent to a great big server where it's decided I'm in sore need of companionship (and money) hence the Soulmate ads and African pen pals?

I wouldn't be surprised if the internet IS context sensitive. Cookies and malicious bits of net code aside, sometimes you begin to wonder if the net hasn't become sentient in the past few years and is now slowly digesting all our information streams and building one big-ass metaserver that envelopes us, and our data. Am I paranoid? I don't think so. I'd gladly be absorbed into the hive brain, if just for the kicks. Right now the net probably knows me better than my own mother (although that can be a good thing..no one should know what I've been typing in search engines).

I remember KaZ blogging about biorythms in a recent post. I think I may even have to have mine scoped out, if only to find something to account for the low motivation, morale and overall endorphin count. Graah. Maybe it's delayed Monday blues, since I escaped mine yesterday. Whatever it is, I hope it passes. I can't feel crummy again. It's too familiar.

I wonder why they never send me "Find Your Perfect Antidepressant!" e-mails.

|