Tuesday, March 9

One Time Only: Election Rant

I guess it was inevitable. After almost everyone's done it, it's my turn. Yup folks, the Ox is actually going to be all serious and stuff and talk about (gasp) the coming elections, and my thoughts on the whole hoo-haa.

Disclaimer: The opinions presented herein are mine and mine only, and have been coloured by the different events that have taken place in my life. Under no circumstances are these to be considered attacks to anyone's beliefs, party ideologies or the like. However, if you still feel like you've been offended in some way (or that I'm wrong, wrong, wrong) leave a comment or click on that nifty little "X" symbol on the upper right.

That said, let's begin. It's going to be no secret that my parents will be voting the opposition all out this year, as they've been doing ever since the whole 1998 shebang (if you have to ask what happened, you're probably worse than I am). I for one, have nothing against that. As far as I'm concerned, better vote for something you believe in rather than what people tell you to. It's all over the place: the banners, the posters, the funny comments and posturings in the papers. Even the blogsphere's gotten all tensed up, with all manner of observations and rants (quite possibly including this one). I see people suddenly walking with a new sense of purpose after spilling out of their respective HQs/action stations/what have you, their faces resolved and grim. If there's ever a time when I feel like the whole nation's on its tiptoes, it's election time.

So what do I have to say about it? Nothing much, actually. Or probably nothing that hasn't been said better by the more astute political observers and activists out there. You see, the Ox is probably typical of the lay voter. I have a general idea of what's going on, and will probably only make my mind up properly as I approach the booth. Right now, I'm probably biased towards casting my vote a certain way (that is, until I get new info that forces me to decide otherwise) and in all probability I'll be sticking with it. Oh I'm aware of the issues all right, I wade neck deep in them whenever I go back to my hometown. And that's probably where this story is going.

Anyone who knows me (or at least who's been reading for any particular length of time) would by now be able to infer that I don't really care where your political allegiance lies (or for that matter, your religious beliefs). Call me naive, but I strictly adhere to the concept that my vote is secret. At the same time, I understand that campaigns have to be run, and promises made. All part of the election process. What I cannot fathom, is the tendency of some people to simply stuff whatever they've been told in their gullets and expect to force the same on others. What I cannot stand is when the issue of who you're voting for gets blown up beyond all comprehension until insults are exchanged, friendships broken and families torn apart (think I'm exaggerating?), not to mention the brainwashing kids have to go through.

Picture this: a 7 year old child spitting loudly whenever he sees a picture of a former leader, or when he appears on the tube. Picture the same kid cursing whenever a police car drives by, referring to them as "dogs". I wonder: does he actually know why he's doing that, other than because his mum told him to? Imagine a family not buying any newspaper other than the "alternative" for 2 years. Imagine siblings suddenly drifting apart leaving their children confused as to what's happening to the family. Blood is thicker than water, you say? Not when election day's coming. Don't like stereotypes? Here's one for you: go to KL and you'll find 9 out of 10 people with pierced navels walking around everywhere. I admit I don't go clubbing much but everywhere? Anyone who's seen this, let me know.

If I sound bitter, it's because I've seen firsthand evidence of all this, and more. I've seen how a small town can have two differing Friday prayer congregations (because one is of course, a govt Imam), faces that don't turn up at kenduris, little children going for Raya celebrations getting asked "Are your parents UMNO people?" followed by harangues (they're kids for God's sake).

So yeah. If by now you're thinking I'm sick of it, you're right. But I don't blame the elections. I don't even blame any particular party. It IS a contest after all. Maybe I just don't like the supporters, or the way the do things (and this applies to both sides). So in about 2 weeks, we'll all be voting. Don't fret about what your friends are going to say, or what your family would think. Cast it for whomever you believe will be doing the job.

Cast it for you.

|