Sunday, March 7

Drenched DVD Fest

Fresh out of the interesting dreams I had last night, I managed to sneak in some DVD hunting today (in between catching up on rest and the many many errands). The 3 hour long chat I had with Nick and his cousin on general geek stuff last night really set my brain at work I think. In Summit managed to find copies of not only Ichi The Killer (more on that soon), but also Sharkskin Man and Peach Hip Girl as well as (geeks, gasp now) Cronos! The one and only original cult hit is out on DVD!

Okay. Most of you would be wondering what the hell I'm talking about. Since it's near my bedtime and I can't be arsed to write a proper post (let alone a review) I'll just give out a sneak preview of what's coming in the next few days:

Ichi The Killer DVD Review!
Unfortunately for me, this also proved to be one of the many cut versions of the film circulating in DVD format. Still, harbour no illusions about the level of gore in Takashi Miike's gangster opera. Apparently they only omitted some of the more risque scenes of bloodletting, but a review will be up as soon as I can scrounge the time. This is one SICK film (anyone remember Audition?). Mmmm.

Sharkskin Man and Orange Hip Girl DVD Review!
This unlikely title jumped out at me from the folders, and seeing Tadanobu Asano (also in Ichi) on the cover I took a gamble and bought it. A nice little yakuza/road movie combo that makes for an entertaining afternoon. Reviews later, promise!

Also unfortunate, I ran out of funds thus was unable to secure Guillermo Del Toro's Cronos. Rest assured this will be rectified. Okay boys and girls, the Ox is sleepy and I'll see you all tomorrow! Have a good week!

|