Sunday, November 28

Murder by Plant

I love low-tech, sometimes.

Just as I was about to despair about ever finding a good undetectable poison, scientists decide to give me a helping hand (Link). It's called the "suicide tree", it's common in India and parts of southeast Asia, and it makes for a wonderful tool for the discerning poisoner (or one with a grudge).

Appropriately named cerbera odollam, the toxin produced by this plant approximates the effects of a heart toxin called digoxin. The toxin disrupts the heartbeats, ensuring cardiac arrests in a matter of minutes. What's scary is that cerbera may have been used by some Indian families to eliminate unwanted in laws, especially daughters.

Whilst I may not be inclined to use this wonderful thing in such a manner, there are always those who perhaps deserve a little "shock". Now if you'll all excuse me, I have to get my year book out. One DOES miss those old friends so.

Hmmmm.

|