Tuesday, November 23

Things You Notice After Awhile

I just knew it. Barely two days into the semester, and my earlier hunch was right: they gave me the 8 am slots. Having spent just four years doing what I do, there are some trends that can easily be picked up:

1) You'll never get dibs on a nice, suitable-for-everyone teaching slot (and by nice I mean anything after 9 am). Most of those will already have been given out to senior members of staff who live just around the corner from the university.

2) The academic schedule will inexplicably appear one day before lectures commence, even if there was a period of several months in which it could have been drafted and passed around the faculty. During this first week there will be amendments, open to mostly senior members of staff who live around the corner (do you begin to see a trend here?) from the campus.

3) Any attempt to request for a change will be met with bureaucratic red tape so thick and wide it puts the Van Allen belt to shame, and could probably encircle the equator several billion times, making the Earth look like one huge round lopsided mummy.

Of course, all this doesn't change the fact that I am now cramming for my second lecture on Multimedia Project Management due at the absolutely marvellous time of 8 am tomorrow. In a peculiarly auspicious turn, I managed to finally source the long-looked for Thomson Online website for the textbook with all the updated slides I'll need to kick start my lecture (since the ones the old prof had got stolen with his laptop).

Okay, now I really have to get back to my book(s). I project an expected sleeping time of 11 (okay, half past latest) if I'm to wake up early enough to beat the jam that is surprisingly located -

500 metres from the university's front gate. Yeah, beats me, too.

Night.

|