Monday, December 13

Fever Update: Fiasco

I knew they'd do this to me.

It's day two of insanely massively high fever day, and I've been in and out of consciousness for pretty much the past 36 hours (my sister maintains that I was delirious last night, and I'm inclined to believe her, simply because I dried a wet cloth with my forehead) and trust me - this is no condition you want to be in when you've got a week long trip in a couple days which may be spoiled through the biggest case of ineptitude I've seen yet this year.

Here it is: throughout last week I was trying to get in touch with the bloke who was supposed to be in charge of all the bookings and what not for my upcoming JB trip. He seemed to never be in the office, and when I finally got him on the line it was Friday morning (bear in mind my trip is for this Wednesday). After I explained the situation (surprisingly he already had my name, so what else was he waiting for?) he said he'd "get right on it" and promised me lodgings at the Sofitel in JB as well as flight arrangements.

A quick search on the internet revealed that the Sofitel would do very nicely for a week's stay, and I was supposed to call him back Monday morning, which I did (feeling slightly better). The news that greeted me this morning was far from good, however.

Me: I want to enquire about the status of the bookings you made?
Him: Oh well, I was just about to take action today.
Me: You DO know I am supposed to fly out on Wednesday?

I think that sums it up. Anyway, a couple hours later I get this frantic call on my mobile from him explaining that since the Sofitel was booked up to the 18th, he'd reserved the Dragon Court Hotel instead. At this, alarm bells went off in my head, remembering full well the kinds of hotels I stayed in on my trip throughout most of Johor last year, and by God I wasn't going to spend another night in a cheap ass hotel.

Yeah call me snooty, but I think I deserve something a little better, especially since it wasn't MY fault he couldn't get reservations. I quickly got on the net (and get this) got a total of TWO listings for Dragon Court Hotel, which apparently was located in a Wisma something or other - which does NOT bode well for me (I mean, from my experience last year I learnt that I definitely need a place with laundry) and as I said - I'd like to stay somewhere nice for once. So I did the only thing I could: I called the fellow up, explained to him that fine, I'd stay in the Dragon Whatever for the first few nights but I'd prefer it if he could make arrangements for a transfer to the Sofitel anyway. As expected - he got wishy washy. I told him that yes, I'd pay for my transport and I didn't mind transferring on the 18th.

Honestly though - I have a feeling that I'm gonna end up in the good old Dragon Whatever anyway. Oh and also, he'd not made the flight bookings as of this afternoon, which doesn't bode well for me at all.

I tell you one thing - whatever grouses the public has against the civil service, rest assured they do the same to their own. In a weird way, that's equality for you.

Bah.

|