Thursday, January 13

Not About The Blackout. Well, Not Really

There's nothing like a near-nationwide blackout to provide instant blogfodder. I can imagine some people like myself this afternoon, trapped in another dreary workday, thinking of tomorrow's potential shenanigans when WHOOMPH! the electricity cuts off and we find ourselves blinking and wondering if we saved that document we've been working on.

I hope I did. I also came back early from work today. For those of you who don't know, I work in a container (refer to those in shipping yards) hence when a blackout occurs, these turn into instant ovens. After an hour and a half, I bid a very warm adieu to death and started on my way back to Subang, where the power wasn't restored till about 4 pm.

Still. Anything's better than slow baking in that coffin lookalike. By this time I'm sure everyone would have had their fill of blackout-related tidbits, and the single memory that stands out most in my head was when I asked a friend who called "They're here, aren't they?".

Morbid, I know. If I had a choice for an invading force, I sure hope it's not these guys (Link). Not only do they have to keep short hair to appease the great Leader (refer to Team America), but said Leader has the luxury to keep his bouffant hairstyle! Talk about contradictory. No wonder so many games released these days put them as the bad guys.

In the meantime, several interesting things popped up on the radar today - and the best thing is, they all involve sex in some form or another. For starters, some of you who had fantasies involving Dana Scully may want to take a gander at this Ooooooold clip that's floating around on the net (Link). I'll mark it as NSFW just in case, since if you look really, really hard you can spot a nipple. And then there's this bit of news thanks to Animal Planet (I swear it's one of the three reasons to get Astro): that while male flies tend to woo potential mates with gifts in exchange for sex, some members of the species actually bring in fake gifts (sounds like another species I know) in order to score (Link).

From the site:

Females among many insects and animals, including humans, enjoy receiving gifts during courtship, but a new study on flies reveals that males can woo their intendeds with worthless, fake love tokens, even if such cheating is otherwise undocumented for the species....[the researcher] added that some flies even present their mates with empty packages wrapped up with layers of silk...He said, "By the time the female finishes unwrapping her gift and discovers that it is empty, the male has mated with her."

If insects with a lifespan of 24 hours can do it, I suppose it's not that surprising that some of us make it a career target. Hmm. But of course, such tricks can only go so far in real life, as I'm sure this guy found out (Link), and he didn't even cheat (for those of you too lazy to click, a guy got one testicle ripped off by an angry girlfriend who then presented it to him saying "it's yours."

Ouch. So there it is, guys. Whichever side you're batting for, play carefully. Especially if you'd like all your, er, bits where they are. I know I do. Well, I'm off now - work to do, and if anyone's wondering what to watch this weekend, try Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle: hilarious no brain fun that's good for an hour and a half plus there's tits.

Or boobs. Well, you know.

------------------------------------

Update: Great Bollywood actor (and Indiana Jones villain) Amrish Puri has passed away (Link). He was 72. Here's a farewell to one of the best guys I've ever hated on any size screen, ever. Rest in peace, Mola Ram.

|