Wednesday, June 25

Oh man. Am sitting in the office, trying to complete my notes for my classes, coming up in the next 2 weeks. Am teaching two topics: Input/Output devices and also Memory and Storage. Each of these will take up one week. Judging from the reports I've been hearing, it doesn't sound so good. I have to admit: this year's students are exremely..bad. I don't really blame them, since almost 95% of them didn't choose to do IT in the first place. They were just kinda dumped into the faculty. A quick look at their entrance forms showed that almost half of them chose the Education faculty, while the rest wanted to do either medicine, dentistry(??) or some other applied science course.

So how do you convert 540 kids, most of whom would rather be somewhere else, into IT-savvy and technological literates? I've seen these kids as my colleagues teach..and man..do they need a spark. Yesterday my roomate even (deliberately) gave them wrong information, citing 4U2C (a now defunct Malaysian rap group) as a complement to UTP cables. Yup, they swallowed it all. Hook, line and sinker. He actually had to TELL them to strike the thing from their notebooks.

God save us all. Storage can be quite technical..and I don't think I'm going to want to shave any of the material off. These are uni students..so I trust that somewhere along the line, some sense will get into their empty heads. I'd rather be slightly cruel now than be responsible for spoon feeding them all the way to the convocation.

Later, people. Back to work.



|