Monday, July 21

Ad- Aware-ness?

So much has been said on unfairness, lately. Unfairness, mistreatment and violence. Towards women, towards our arts scene (though I am not an active art enthusiast myself), towards minorities, even towards tourists. So we feel (righteous?) anger, and we take up the good fight. I noticed something yesterday that caught my eye, and set me thinking. Maybe some enlightened readers can help me solve this little mystery..and divulge if this is fair.

I was in ss15 Subang Jaya, buying some burgers for my sister, when I saw what looked like a big whiteboard with an ad for a Japanese restaurant, near a junction. The way it was swaying was a bit suspicious though, and when I looked properly, I saw it for what it was. A crude handwritten ad on a board, held by this one person who was (thankfully) sitting on a chair. The board was quite big, since it covered his whole upper body when he sat (and wide, too). Conversation with the burger-stall owner revealed that usually the man would sit there from around noon till 8 or 9 pm. I left my camera at home (unfortunately) and was unable to get a shot.

The question is: is this legal? Does this constitute employee abuse? I am unsure whether there are several people manning the board, but the thought of spending hours behind a heavy board like that, holding it up while the sun beats down on you.. seems a bit, well, harsh. I'll try and snap some pictures and post them, so keep tuning in, and if anyone has any info on the matter, do post it here. I find the situation somewhat..interesting.

Okay, some interesting links I found during the weekend:

Email is courriel in French

Sony's new CPU for the CLIE

Darwinian Poetry (funky)

The world's scariest robot

What does your last name mean?

10 ways to make your XP box run better

More updates soon!








|