Wednesday, March 24

Flying Fallopian Tubes

There are days when I am amazed beyond belief at what my students' pens spout. This is one of them. For those of you who're interested (yes, all THREE of you) this semester I taught two subjects: A/V Editing Technologies and Introduction to 3D Modelling. In the course of drafting exam questions for both papers I tried to encompass the syllabus as much as I could in addition to asking questions that would actually make them think. Easier said than done, yes, but the feeling of being totally in control is exhilarating. Anyway, as some of you know I've been engaged in marking the answer sheets for much these past few weeks. Here I share with you some gems that manage to pop up and make my life somewhat more interesting:

(Questions and answers have been translated from the Malay, so forgive any hiccups)
Question: Using a suitable diagram, describe the workings of the human ear and how sound travels to the brain.

Best Answer: "....after entering the ear lobes, the sound then travels through the Fallopio (sic) tube to the eardrum...

Right. Anyone didn't get that? Read that again. I have a feeling I need to examine this student's ears closely. God knows what else she has up there. I wonder though, if it qualifies as harassment, checking her tubes?

Question: Give your opinion on what is the positive and negative aspects of using 3D graphics in the near future.

Majority Answers (and I count at least 60%):

..irresponsible modelers will use their knowledge to design models that are sexy, or wear indecent clothing...

...the sophisticated models may be used in the quote blue movie unquote industry...

...these new models will be so realistic that they can have indecent uses...

Oh my dear God. I have to admit when I designed the question, I didn't expect so many to answer along those lines. As my colleague puts it, "Cikgu kencing berdiri.."

Malay proverb: Teacher pees standing up, kids pee running..
Translation (very rough): What the teacher does, the kids echo better.

So what does that say about what I teach?
Well, back to Comedy Cent- I mean work.
Ahem.

|