Tuesday, February 10

Keeping Abreast of Things

Okay. So pardon the rude (and somewhat lame) wordplay. The fact of the matter is, this particular headline literally jumped out at me from my Yahoo page.

L O freaking L. Apparently people in the States are more "starchy" about nudity (and this I quote near-verbatim). So in The Land Of The Free, where most things are "Mom and Apple Pie" nudity is still a big no-no, even it if it is unintentional. Score one for the Europeans on that account. Not only do they have a healthier currency, they're also less relaxed about things popping out of clothes (of course this isn't to say Europeans can't be weird. Drop by Germany or better yet, Amsterdam). Hmm. Now don't get me wrong folks. I'm as much a proponent of honest to goodness decency (well, at least most of the time) as the next Joe, and am also a firm believer in the magic of Things Only Half Seen (heheh). It's just that you would expect stories like this to pop up (ahem) in the Weekly World News or some such tabloid.

On the other hand, it also strikes me as being hilarious that the Americans like to think of themselves as still being "homegrown" Puritans. In a word: wholesome. Talk about self delusional. Of course, what else would you expect when even the President miraculously falls asleep before the magic moment (referring to Janet here) on the SuperBowl. Such happenings must be an Act of God indeed. Perhaps we can sell this pitch for a new reality-show to the major networks and call it American Life. Oh well. As for me, this just reinforces my belief that the US is undoubtedly the entertainment capital of the world. Abso-freakin-lutely.

Ahem. Right about now, though, I'll see if I can get to watch Jordan getting loose in Australia. Have a good one folks, and don't forget to watch American Idol!

|