Tuesday, February 24

'Sup, Dawg?

Interesting lunchtime reads, today. In between reading the thesis I've been stuck on and generally defending myself from people who think I'm a crazy-sex-maniac bastard or bitch (it's a long story), I managed to snag this article on rense.com. Apparently Malaysia's not the only country where we see a sudden infusion of a new ethnic-group who I like to call the the Nuovo-Blacks. That's right. In between the punk rockers and the beat boppers (did I actually say that?) we have the immensely popular hip-hopper culture. The article, adapted from UK's The Observer noted that the hip hop culture now predominates their youth. So much so that there's actually a term for the slang they speak, namely Blinglish.

Oh dear. I haven't actually had the opportunity to check if our youths have gotten the bug as well, but from what I've seen so far, it looks like we're heading there and soon. Don't believe me? Check out any of our malls and you'll know them from the extra baggy pants worn under the bum, the caps skewed ever so slightly on their heads and of course, the general lingo. Hoppers are here, and they mean to stay. I have nothing against their musical/clothing preference, however funny I think it is. They're kids, and kids always want to experiment with being cool. They do provide entertainment for my tired eyes, and I'm always thankful for that. While the UK's wrestling with Blinglish, in the US, people are trying to reduce the occurrence of the word "like" in their kids' vocabulary. The general sentiment is that it's used far too much, according to this article.

Besides, having lived through some of the 70s and 80s, I have a feeling we'll ALL look back and chuckle on our oh-so-cool antics and articulations. Oh well. Right now I'm also stuck between joining this really cool sounding fencing class in MidValley and Kendo lessons in PJ. Decisions, decisions! Anyone got any opinions? I KNOW I really want to do fencing (been waiting for ages) but Kendo sounds fun, too. Maybe they'll even help get rid of the extra fattage I'm carrying around, heheh.

Aiiight. Till then, take care and remember to catch American Idol tonight!
Word (or as they say in the UK: standard).

|